The practice of heating bundles of aromatic herbs and spices wrapped in muslin is in changed since Thailand’s Ayutthaya period (14th – 18th century) when a fragrant hot pack was administered to war-weary soldiers returning home with muscle aches and bruises.
Today the poultice is still used to alleviate aches and bring a medicinal heat to the muscles to induce relaxation. Thai massage concentrates on the major energy meridians that run throughout the body. It aims to harmonise the body, to loosen energy blockages and to recoup deficiencies along these energy lines. It relaxes the muscles while stimulates blood circulation and energy flow.
The herbal poultice treatment utilises warmed muslin poultices of Thai and Chinese herbs that are steamed and applied directly to the body in a kneading action. This traditional treatment has been practiced to soothe muscle tension and stiffness in the key areas. Heat and herbs are absorbed by the body to help to reduce aches and pains, increase lymphatic drainage and condition the skin.
Benefits & Effects
- Heated compresses warm the skin and relieve muscular tension and stress.
- Massage relaxes and provides a general feeling of well-being.
- Blood circulation will be improved which will encourage fresh nutrients and blood supply to tissues and soften cellulite.
- Deep massage will stimulate the flow of lymph to the glands in the lymphatic system which helps eliminate toxins, increased sweat production and waste from the body.
- Thai herbal massage creates balance and harmony for the mind, body and spirit.
- The aroma of the ingredients can be either stimulating or relaxing and stimulates the nervous and respiratory system.
- The massage will nourish, improve and soften the skin due to the exfoliation action of the muslin wrapped ball of the compress.
- Promotes increased sedative effects and endorphin release.
- The compress provides a tool to create a deeper massage which helps the therapist protect against damage on their hands and wrists.
Full body treatment – 60 mins £45
Back, neck and shoulders – 30 mins £30
A health consultation will be carried out prior to your first treatment so please allow an extra 15 minutes.
Therapist : Alison Holt (Solace Academy)